68. New Botanical Art Courses in Winter/Spring, 2021
Finally, I am announcing the new courses for Winter/Spring, 2021.
- Botanical Drawing Fundamentals - 5 Saturdays: Jan. 23, 30, Feb. 6, 13 & 20.
- Advanced Drawing Project 1 and 2 - 3 Saturdays per each project.
- Tuesday Watercolor, Intermediate Level: 3 projects - 3 Tuesdays per each project.
- Saturday Pen-and-Ink 1 and 2.
- And the usual Monday Open Workshop.
Drawing Fundamentals - Saturday Beginning Courses
- DF Week 1: Understanding tools, light, Tonal Value (Gradation), light and shadow (value system) in various forms.
- DF Week 2: How to draw 3 major flower types. Measuring techniques for free hand drawing - Essential plant structures for botanical artists 1- flower, spiral form.
- DF Week 3: Perspective and foreshortened form 1 - Flower.
- DF Week 4: Perspective and foreshortened form 2 - Leaf.
- DF Week 5: Composition and how to create a scientifically informative botanical drawing. Essential plant structures for botanical artists 2 - leaf (shape & arrangement), stem, etc.
Advanced Drawing Project 1 and 2:
These two projects are designed to guide students to create their own artworks by using the techniques leaned from the Drawing Fundaments course, plus their own artistic choices and judgments, to push their skill further.
Drawing is a highly intelligent engagement. It is not just a simple coordination of our hand and eyes. Every sense of our body and soul is involved in making numerous decisions within a time span of one pencil stroke. That is why drawing is an ever-fascinating activity. Click for Registration
- Project 1: Intricate Light, Form, Value & Relationship on a bunch of grapes: 3 Saturdays - April 3, 10 & 17. 11 am - 2 pm, CT, USA. Fee: $250.
- Project 2: Complex Composition without Chaos. 3 Saturdays - June 5, 12 & 19. 11 am - 2 pm, CT, USA. Fee: $250.
|Spring Woodland Flowers, Watercolor, ©HeeyoungKim 2020|
Tuesday Watercolor Intermediate Level
In this course, I guide class participants to find specimens they are familiar with and and paint them following my structured instructions for each project. Through demos, instructions and feedback, each student will proceed with the painting along with the course. Click for Registration
- Project 1: A Visual Documentary of a Plant: Jan. 19, 26, Feb. 9 & 16. 10 am - 1 pm, CT, USA. Learning how to document a plant’s life cycle starting with winter branches and continuing through the seasons. . Fee: $250.
- Project 2: What Jack-in-the-Pulpit Can Teach Us about Painting: Rich colors, shiny berries, patterns… to name a few… Mar. 2, 9, 16 & 23. 10 am - 1 pm, CT, USA. Fee: $250.
- Project 3: Spring Wildflowers in Habitat: April 13, 20, 27 & May 4. 10 am - 1 pm, CT, USA. Fee: $250.
|Compass Plant, Pen-and-Ink, ©Heeyoung Kim 2020|
- Pen-and-Ink 1: Basic techniques and scientific plate style, March 6, 13 & 20. 11 am - 2 pm, CT, $190. Understanding the pen nibs an ink. Lines, stipplings, and hatching/crosshatching techniques. Simple scientific plate style illustration. Lots of demos, guided homework & feedback.
- Pen-and-Ink 2: Creative ink drawing- Woodland Understory, May 1, 15 & 22. 11 am - 2 pm, CT, $190. Using the basic techniques, students will create a fun and creative story with flora and fauna of woodland in early spring. Lots of demos, guided homework & feedback.
|Common Milkweed, Pen-and-Ink, ©Heeyoung Kim 2020|
|A group of prairie plants, Pen-and-Ink, ©Heeyoung Kim 2020|
Monday Open Workshop - Techniques & Projects
This course is the unique feature of my program suitable for aspiring botanical artists who are taking on their own projects, and/or pushing forward their career/skill level. Students work with their chosen specimens at their own paces with my suggestions and guides in various media. There are active and constructive discussion among the group, not only by me, which become an extraordinary learning opportunity. At the end, I chose technique demo parts to share with the class. After resolving issues from my suggestions and peer discussion, my students often say, "This is way I love this class!" 😀😀😀. Click for Registration
- Classes are offered usually as a unit of 4 weeks each month. 10 am - Noon, CT, USA. Fee: $200.